Monday, September 20, 2010

What's In A Shoe?

My shoes, old shoes from days gone by and new shoes. I love running shoes. I still have my first pair of running shoes that I have talked about before. Nothing better or at least that is how I choose to remember them. I keep wondering how long it will take before some forward thinking shoe company will make a retro shoe that will rival my first pair. The teenager in me is anxiously waiting to once again effortlessly glide down the road, although I do worry that my 47 year old feet and legs are quietly scared for that day when it comes. I even have my spikes from cross country and track. I liked bright shoes even back then. I have worn them once or twice in the last year. I'm not sure if I did them justice and I am ashamed I did not run as well as someone should wearing such outrageous shoes. Thankfully I have since added some newer shoes to attempt my comeback. I have settled mostly on training in Adidas Adizeros which fit my foot so perfectly. I would like to fill my closet with enough pairs to see me through but I usually get distracted and end up trying others. I do like my new Saucony racing flats but I cannot seem to wear them for anything longer than a 5k without limping for the next couple of days. I also have some Nike zoom streaks. I love how they look but I have not made up my mind yet if they are going to remain in the arsenal. They are a bit big but I can't seem to bring myself to trade them in or give them away. Maybe soon. I just bought the Saucony Kinvara's. My plan was to train in them, maybe do some tempo runs. The first day they wanted to go fast. The next day my calves were sore. That week  for some strange reason I increased my mileage and by the weekend I was wondering if my Kinvaras were a good idea. I still refuse to think otherwise but I have shelved them until after the half marathon Oct. 10(just to be safe). Back to the tried and true Adidas Adizeros. Have to get in one or two tempo runs and then taper. Maybe rest a little too so I can actually see how that may feel to race while being rested. Dare I even not race for one weekend? Right now my aches and pains desperately need some relief but my ego keeps wanting more. Speaking of more...how many shoes do I have to have to be considered compulsive? Confession: I have had to get rid of clothes and regular everyday shoes just to make more room for running gear. I currently have no more space and need to brainstorm how to resolve this rather quickly. Why? Because I already have my eye on the green and black Brooks Silence as well as more technical shirts and singlets. You never know when you may need more colors to match the psychedelic colored shoes that seem to end up in my closet, especially when I need motivation or if I blame "those damn shoes" for my poor performance.
By the way HOC this past weekend was as always fun and thousands attended for such a good cause. The course was the best for a campus course with the usual down Indiana and out 10th to Jordan. Good ole Jordan. Up Jordan. Up to 17th. Although I always feel like I am jogging when I go up hills, Jordan isn't really too bad. Just too long! Down the other side is always sweet. Seemed like the last .1 went on forever and the finishing times were nothing to brag about. No one under 17! I insist course was long. INRunCo teammate Tim Ryder lead for a while and got second. Good job Tim. I got third. Considering 3 years ago I was 55th, I am happy with that. Next year maybe better.

4 comments:

  1. Love you blog Frank!!! How many pairs of shoes do you have? Maybe you said already.....
    ~Melissa ( I don't have a Google account so I logged in as Maddie :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the Red and Yellow Silence!! I want those SO bad too! So awesome! But I suppose the black and green would match your neon yellow singlet a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had 10 pair but I sold two pair of Nikes so I have 8 pair but the oldest pair is no longer wearable. I agree the green and black would go with the yellow singlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The course for HOC had to be long. Although I forgot to turn off my GPS until I got to the end of the chute at the finish line, I got 3.20 on my Garmin and there's no way that that distance plus the distance I was from the starting line (not far from it) added up to .1 miles.

    I don't have a shoe obsession (well, okay, I have four still-usable pairs of running shoes around, so maybe a little), and closet/dresser space is still a problem. What do you do with all those 5k t-shirts?

    ReplyDelete