Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Time to rethink

Okay, approximately a month before the Towpath half marathon and I don't feel ready. Not a good feeling. Tonight was track night and Oscar and I decided to do an easy run, in part because my achilles was aching and sore to the touch. Even the run over to the track was slow and painful. Watched Thomas Chorny do a few hard laps. He was flying. After talking with Thomas we got in an easy run on campus. Dodging students is a workout in and of itself. I have decided that I will continue to do my long runs on Sunday but I will actually run easy two Sundays each month and the other two will be more of a tempo run. Since I can't seem to resist the urge to race every weekend the races will have to count as a speedwork day. This leaves maybe Wednesdays to do something else, like track or hills. The other days will be easy, recovery or rest. New plan starts tonight. Wish me luck. By the way i don't think I've mentioned that my new goal is to meet or surpass the Master's standards for my age group in several distances. I am 3 seconds from meeting the 5k standard, I have already met the 8k standard, would like to meet 10k but I don't race enough at that distance. I REALLY want to meet the half marathon standard. This may take some doing but I think I am made for this distance. The half seems to combine speed and endurance and doesn't require 70plus miles per week. Speaking of mileage, I increased my mileage last week and will do the same for a couple more. I'm not talking a significant amount but enough to count. Live and learn. Seems I am always learning and adjusting. I really think each of us has to do the same no matter what your age. Do what works for you, experiment and find out. Above all, have fun running.

2 comments:

  1. I've found that I can't run high mileage without getting injured, so I am on a somewhat similar plan as you right now - race on Saturdays, long run Sundays, speed work Wednesdays, and easy runs, cross training, or rest on the other days.

    I did not feel ready before the Napa to Sonoma Half this summer because I never got in a really "quality" long run, but I PR'd by 6 minutes. You will do great in the Towpath Half! Have fun and good luck making the Master's standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were looking at the track standards for the 5k (16:45, I think). The road race 5k standard is much slower (21:49).

    ReplyDelete