Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beginning of Fall

This weekend was the long-awaited Persimmon Festival 5k. Always known to be a fast course, whether by virtue of it's flatness or 3.09 distance(Tim Ryder GPS), I am choosing to see it as a just a fast 5k. Perfect day. Sunny and in the 50's. My goal was to be at 5:15 for first mile and near 10:40 at the two and then just cruise in the long straight finish. Well I think I accomplished all that. First mile 5:15, 10:30? at the two and 16:49 finish! Faster than last year and a good confidence boost. Cross the finish line and off to Elettsville to do another. Felt great, recovered very quickly after the first race. First mile 5:24 and I was ready to be done. My legs were so heavy. Tim and I ran together for a while as we did in the earlier race. He and his newfound Newton power pulled ahead and I could not bridge the gap. You know that gap that is only about 10-20 meters and only amounts to about 5-8 seconds. That gap that should be just a small burst of speed to close. That gap that is so small that a car could barely drive through it. Anyway, just as in the first race Tim and I both watched Scott easily win while we take second and third. Great day for team INRunCo! And post-race chocolate milk was awesome as we sat at elementary school tables. Memories. As  I called it a day Scott of course was off to do another 13 mile training run with Emily. Today(Sunday) I forced myself to not run at all. That in and of itself is difficult enough but there was another Mag 7 race today. McCormick's Creek 4 mile trail run. Awesome fall weather today. Great turnout. Amanda made this her 3rd race this weekend! What is she doing? Scott and Emily took first place honors. Good job teammates. Now I am sitting here relaxing with my traditional Sunday night Jiffy Treet milkshake. An important part of my end of the week training and racing. Full of thick chocolaty goodness and replenishing nutrients. Looking forward to an easy two weeks to recover and give my aches and pains some time to heal before the Towpath half. Should i race this next weekend?


2 comments:

  1. No racing this weekend! At least not for me and my big race is 10/10/10 too!

    Good job this weekend - to you and Amanda!

    PS: Persimmon was EXACTLY 3.1 on my Garmin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, I'm debating running in one of the races this weekend too...I keep telling myself I will just "run for fun" but I know once I get in a race situation I have a tendency to run hard no matter what, and I really don't want to do that the week before my marathon. I'll probably debate whether or not to run one of them until Friday night!

    Karl and I got Jiffy Treet milkshakes after the races on Saturday. Always a great post-run recovery treat! :)

    Great job to you and Amanda at all of the races this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete