Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New Year, New Perspective Maybe?

     Read some of my past posts tonight. I wonder if  I am the only one who may find them funny. It is amazing how many years have past since I started running again. Lots of things have changed and some things have not since my last post. I am not sure how I feel anymore about running. I mean I love running but this is year 6 of not being 100% healthy! Takes a while to work through the stages of grief I guess and I bounce back and forth some too. I have learned a lot and still continue to do so. I can honestly say that being misdiagnosed and mistreated has not helped and I think has most definitely hindered and prevented my progress. I am angry about that of course but what good does that do me?
     I think my last post mentioned surgery but after numerous Ultrasounds and an MRI and considering the possible outcomes, I have not had surgery. Instead I chose to take 6 months off last year, stretch more and do weighted eccentrics to strengthen and rebuild my tendon. I do think the tendon is getting "better." It will never be the same and will never be 100%. But I have since learned that many times those who have Insertional Achilles issues also have other problems such as Achilles Bursitis. This bursitis causes swelling on my heel which then causes pain. This means it is very challenging to string together very many quality runs before I have to take time off to rest the foot. This three steps forward, two steps back is very frustrating but unless I want to risk surgery or quit, it is the best I have. I also have learned that cutting the hard plastic heel counter out of my shoes helps.
     I decided last Fall when I started to run again that I wanted a coach. Keith Brantly lives here in St. Augustine! You may remember him from the 1996 US Olympic marathon team in Atlanta. Keith is a super nice guy and has been planning my weekly running for several months now. Since that time, I have ran my fastest 5k and 10k in 5 years! I am looking forward to better and better things this year. I hope to run Gate River 15k in March in Jacksonville. My addition of long runs have helped me tremendously to build some endurance, which was always my weakness even when I ran well. As long as the foot holds up and I can start doing some faster tempo and speedwork, I think racing this year will be the best in a very long time.
     Having said that, I do not know how fast I can run with this wacky foot of mine but I feel like I am getting there and even my easy days don't feel like I am in slow motion anymore. By the way, we love St. Augustine. No regrets. My job at Clay High School as a Counselor is awesome. Love the beach, the history, everything. Amanda plays with snakes and alligators and takes photos all day. Crazy stuff but she is very good at it. I do miss Bloomington and friends but as always we hope to convince more people to visit. You would love it here I promise. Well, sorry I haven't posted in a while. As I have said before it is hard to feel motivated since running has been a love/hate thing for so long. If you want to follow my running you can on Strava.


No comments:

Post a Comment