Thursday, January 2, 2014

New and improved?

Well here is my usual new year blog post. I decided when I got injured that blogging while injured seemed wrong for some reason. I have found out that when a runner is injured the only people who want to hear about it are other injured runners! I miss racing, and I really miss others wanting to talk to me about my racing. These past few years have been lonely. Not meeting anyone for training runs, not getting up early to drive to races on the weekends. Post race talk about the next race and how we can do better, be faster, etc. I love runners and I will always count myself as a runner one way or the other. If anyone reads this wants to hear about my exploits in my new city find me on Facebook or Twitter. Otherwise wait another year and read this blog.
Okay that being said, here is my injury update: my Achilles tendon is actually better! Feels strong and not sore to the touch anymore. Good news and about time wouldn't you say? But...I still have swelling on my heel area, maybe still related to Achilles injury or maybe bursitis? Either way, not running much which is ironic since the tendon is better now. UGH! I think after many different treatments I have concluded that the cause needs to be corrected. This means I need to work on strength and flexibility. I am sure my hips are weak, maybe glutes too. I wish I had a coach here to MAKE me to this every day. After 3 years of battling this injury I have lost most of my determination. I want to race again, focus on 15k and longer. I still feel fast but running a ridiculous number of 5ks was my undoing.
We moved to St. Augustine in June and love it here. Weather better of course, by the ocean, great history and architecture. There seems to be lots of runners too. I have yet to join the local running club but plan to as soon as I can join them for weekly outings. Amanda works at the Alligator Farm. She loves it and is very good at it too. I am working part time at the YMCA. Still looking for a counselor job but we shall see. We live about 2 blocks from the beach and across the street from the Y. For someone who is a bit afraid of the water(non-swimmer), I love the beach, the bay, the boats. Still getting adjusted and that may take a few more months nut I know we will look back on this and be glad.
I hope some of our friends will come visit us. Bloomington was great and we had some great friends that we miss. Stay at the beach, see the sights for free(perk of Amanda's job), great food and no snow. I hope, as always, that by this time next year I can blog about racing and my big comeback. I have some 50+ age group records to break!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frank! Best wishes from the frozen northlands!

    Have fun in Florida; you're close to where I grew up! I hope you heal up right and start wrecking the 50+ divisions; maybe it's also time to learn to swim?

    ReplyDelete