Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What have I learned and other random thoughts

First let me say I ran 3 x 1/2 yesterday at Clear Creek. Maybe it was the cool temps, maybe it was the wind at my back, maybe it was that one run out of 20 that was great and I was due... but I ran each 1/2 at faster pace: 5:07 mile pace, 5:00 mile pace and ending the last 1/2 at 4:54 mile pace. Each felt easier and as usual when I run fast the heel or achilles did not hurt. I should cut out all easy runs and only run 2 fast workouts and one long run each week. Maybe this is the magic formula so that I can start racing again with this chronic tendonosis? Don't get me wrong Jeff my PT is still doing Graston and I SEE some progress, not sure I'm feelin the progress. It is September and the great races are beginning starting with B-foods this weekend. I can show up, run and go home with my head hung but why? "Age group winner" is not what I want or I would have been racing all year for 5 points a pop. I still feel fast and I am no where near allowing age to be an issue or excuse. Yes there are things that age does bring: longer recovery times, the need for more stretching, maybe fewer races, maybe even fewer beers or Five Guys burgers. I really should write more about this age thing and I will later.
So in summary, I ran okay in high school. Too many miles, average times but loved it. One year at BSU on XC team. Hated every moment of it. Again too many miles, always tired, partied too much and homesick. Got married, had child, graduated and quit running. Moved to Indy for job and started shaving my legs. Well bought a bike, watched the Tour de France and then started riding and shaving my legs. Loved it. I wasn't great at it but I could ride a few miles and it was exciting. Had a few nasty crashes that landed me in ER for some stitches (never wore helmet).  8 years and after grad school later moved to B-town and stopped riding. By this time had 3 boys, new job, no money and sat on my ass a lot. Tried to run from time to time, never felt the same so quit easily. Fast forward a few years...got divorced, met Amanda and soon she convinced me to run HOC after running around the block a few times. I was hooked again. Damn her. Started buying shoes (never stopped) and running. Seemed to quickly get fit and race times improved dramatically. I started to think I could be an elite masters runner. This would be so awesome. Last year had good year. Won some races, got top 3 lots, ran couple halves. Won Mag 7 for second year in row. All the while the achilles hurt. I thought it would get well with some winter rest. It did not. Started treatment. Got frustrated, changed doctors, I stretch now, ice all the time. If I could wear an ice boot I think that would simplify things. I get Graston weekly, even got fitted for orthotics that I cannot stand to wear so I don't. They seem so unnatural. Now here it is 4 days before B-foods 5K and I still run with pain, very few fast workouts under my belt, only 3 runs over 8 miles in past 3 months. I want to race and I want to be better. What have I learned?
I'm not sure. Seems as if the older I get the more I have learned that I don't know as much as I thought when I was younger. Or that there is so much to know and everyone has an opinion that isn't much better than my own. Does that make me wiser or dumber? I keep trying to eliminate what isn't working for me but that still has not left me with what does. Maybe this Graston thing will pay off months from now? I wish I could know now and I wish I knew I was on the right track and that there is no more I could be doing. I am now even considering what shoes could I buy to help? More shoes right?  I even attended  running form clinic last weekend lead by a Newton running guy. I did learn from that session that I am not coordinated, my balance is not good and it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. So tomorrow another Graston session, more stretching, more icing, yada, yada, yada!

No comments:

Post a Comment